Proof of Concept
for a cardiac specialty hospital
I got an amazing opportunity to work with Dr. Devi Shetty who is widely considered as one of the best cardiac surgeons in the world. Being the Creative Director on the project, I was responsible in overseeing and helping with user research, information architecture, wireframes and visual design. I worked with Aditi (Research & Interaction Design) and Serge (Visual Design), the two other designers on the project team.
The primary goals:
Improve the efficiency of nurses who were manually filling in charts.
Digitise charts being manually entered.
- Reduce negligence in the wards.
Aditi and I created flows and wireframes for the project. The dashboard view greatly helped improve how quick a nurse or a doctor could assess a patient's situation. Since an iPad would be attached to every bed at the ward, the system was also designed to use consistent controls and alerts to inform the nurse about the status of their patient. The biggest impact however, was made when we changed the feed-in mechanism from pen and paper to range sliders. This drastically changed reduced the time taken by nurses to enter readings per patient from 2:54 minutes to a mere 43 seconds. From our research, we realised that most living humans have ranges for different readings like blood pressure, heart rate, urine output etc. and having readings outside of these ranges isn't possible. From this finding we were able to have defaults based on ideal human readings and smart defaults from patient history — this made things even simpler for a nurse entering these readings. If the reading was similar to the previous reading check, the nurses didn't have to change much since the app stored the previous data entry for every patient.
Serge and I crafted the visual designs carefully considering the aesthetic decisions, since it needed to be subtle so it isn't annoying to patients, yet distinct enough to show key readings to nurses and doctors. Readability and comprehension was key since the nurses needed to process the information as quickly as possible and the app had to be readable in both day and night conditions. We chose a pastel palette since it easier on the nurses' eyes especially during the night.